Thursday, October 4, 2012

Creepycakes! Ekk!


Have you ever ate a cupcake that stares back at you? Me neither...until now. Cupcakes are generally cute and friendly...but not these guys their pretty creepy. I would love to say I had a great reason for making these, to ya know vouch for my sanity, but I think I really just wanted to play with the new jumbo eye candies. That and I promised the neighbor boys cupcakes yesterday...these made up for the pink cookies I gave them. Not that they cared, or even took time to notice before wolfing them down. I actually just handed the girls some thinking they would love them because they were all pink and girly, next thing I know the boys are hanging around outside asking for cookies. Turns out I know nothing about boys, must be why God gave us all girls. See the things I learn from baking? It's not just all sprinkles ya know ;).

 Seeing our girls eat them was pretty entertaining though. They each held theirs and kinda stared at it...poked the eyes...maybe they thought they were going to blink? . Finally one of the littles popped an eye in her mouth and said "I yike eyes momma". After that it was all fun and games to bite off the eyes. 


Wouldn't these be great to take to a kiddo event. Silly and scary! For these I baked devils food cupcakes and used my normal buttercream recipe (half batch for 12). The eyes were found in the Halloween section of Wal-mart. They can also be found in the cake section at almost any craft store. These are incredibly easy and quick too!

Here's what your going to need:

12 chocolate cupcakes
2.5 cups of buttercream
Black Sprinkles
Candy eyes 
Black food pen
Black gel coloring


Step 1: Use your black food color pen to draw some eye lids on some of the eyes. This was really fun. I just googled "eyes in the dark" to find some inspiration.


Step 2: Add black gel coloring to your buttercream to tint it black. Don't worry it doesn't have to be completely black mine was more of a dark grey. The sprinkles will pretty much cover it.


Step 3: Using a large round tip (I use Wilton 2A) pipe a flat swirl on to the cupcake. I start in the center and work my way out...just letting the icing kind of fall into place.


Step 4: Use a clean viva towel to smooth out the icing. Lay it gently over the top the run your finger around and in circles to smooth out the icing and make it spread across the cupcake.



Step 3: Now add on some eyes.


Step 4: Dunk in a bowl of sprinkles. To cover gently lift and continue to lay into sprinkles...don't press to hard or move the cupcake around, you will mess up the icing. Just lift up and down a few times and maybe tilt on the side a bit.


Now you have a bunch of creepy, silly, and scary eyes staring back at you. 





Don't they remind you of a cartoon when the lights go off and an extra set of eyes pop up. Blink blink. Blink blink. :)